Saturday, March 21, 2009

From my description do you think that I have Aspergers Syndrome


From my description do you think that I have Aspergers Syndrome?
I am a 30 year old man, who is living in the UK and works as a carer. All my life I have struggled in social situations. Eg: struggle with eye contact, appropriate body language, empathising with others. Tried to research body language but its tough. Struggle for the correct responses and most interactions fail, this has led to alcoholism and depression, although ive stopped drinking for 8 months now. It just made things easier somehow:-(. Just can't connect with people and feel saddened when Im talking to people and it all starts to go wrong. If im sat around with just a small group of people I feel extreme anxiety. For years I was obsessed with cycling, cycling to Poland, Spain, Andorra, France, Germany. It was my subject that I liked to talk about. I thought that If I did the long distance stuff people would like me eg; think im interesting facinating person. I was wrong, people did'nt care this shocked me. I tried to learn polish, but then brought it up and used it with my polish work colleagues. People thought I was being arrogant, I thought doing this would make people like me and think Im intelligent. Sometimes things are just so, so difficult. I feel like a human tragedy not able to connect, alone and have thought about killing myself in the past. At the moment I want to cry. Im afraid of going to the GP because I believe he will not truely listen to me.
Mental Health - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
no i dont think you do, but you may have something else. also, dont try to impress people just be yourself
2 :
if you think you are autistic see a shrink but you could be making excuses but se a shrink
3 :
You've said nothing that rules it out. But that doesn't make it a solid yes, either. I wasn't diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome until I was 48. You seem to be having enough life issues that getting further professional advice would seem appropriate in any case. Yes, your GP is the first step*. Perhaps also check with the National Autistic Society website, to see if their database lists particular resources in your area. *Even if not convinced over the Asperger's possibility, (and its not the GP's job to decide yes or no) I'd suggest that they should be able to see enough concern and distress to warrant referral for further assessment anyway.